Eating in college should ideally consist of more than just energy drinks and dino nuggets. Not that we’re serving up five-course meals every night, but it’s important to structure your grocery shopping so you can get through an entire week with minimal take-out meals. Get your shopping list ready, because getting groceries just got a whole lot easier.
Here’s how this is going to work: leftovers only last about three to four days in the fridge. We know your roommate’s rotisserie chicken has been sitting there for two weeks, but food should really be eaten much sooner. That means you’ll need to prepare two of each meal for the week: two breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Throw on some snacks and other necessities, and you’ve got yourself a proper grocery list.
We’ve compiled a list of simple ideas for every meal of the day. Keep in mind every meal should have a balance of carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats.
Breakfast (pick two):
- Avocado toast: multigrain bread, avocado, seasoning of choice
- Yogurt and granola: greek yogurt, granola
- Omelet: eggs, cheese, toppings of choice
- Oatmeal: oats, protein powder, nut butter, berries, brown sugar
- Smoothie: frozen banana, frozen berries, protein powder, nut butter
- Classic breakfast: potatoes, turkey bacon, fruit
- Frozen waffles: frozen waffles, fruit, nut butter
Lunch (pick two):
- Wrap: tortilla, chicken, hummus, toppings of choice
- Pasta: chickpea pasta, marinara sauce
- Mexican bowl: rice, black beans, chicken, pre-made salsa
- Greek bowl: rice, chickpeas, cucumber, feta, black olives, onion, dressing of choice
- Sandwich: multigrain bread, sliced deli meat, pesto, tomato, lettuce
- Grilled cheese: multigrain bread, cheese, side salad
- Loaded potato: potato, ground beef, cheese, spinach, onion
Dinner (pick two):
- Tacos: tortilla, rice, beans, meat of choice, pre-made salsa
- Stir-fry: meat of choice, rice, veggie medley, soy sauce
- Bodybuilder’s dream: rice, ground beef, broccoli
- Salmon bowl: salmon, rice, cucumber, spicy mayo
- Pizza: pre-made crust, cheese, chicken, marinara sauce, spinach
- Frozen meals: Trader Joe’s has the best options
- Struggle bowl: at the end of the week, throw whatever you have left in a bowl and add some sauce
Don’t forget to stock up on your favorite snacks in between meals, including a few dessert options. Since everyone’s sweet tooth is a little different, we’ll leave that up to you.
This article was published in Distraction’s Summer 2023 print issue.